Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dude, Seriously November Already!

I can't believe that 1) yesterday I witnessed the first snowflakes of the year and 2) that November is seriously right around the corner. What the heck. I mean really, where did the time go? Don't get me wrong I am super stoked about the upcoming months, but also a little overwhelmed with all that I still want to do before Christmas.

Unfortunately, the Mad Men housewarming that I am dying to do will have to wait till the new year. We're just not at that stage where we want to fully show off our new digs. Sure a friend over here and there, totally acceptable, but just not a mass amount. Especially considering we don't have enough seating yet.

Anyway, as far as planning goes I am on top of it as usual for this time of year. I live to plan and make lists . . . I would get an A+ if we as humans were graded on such things. It's executing them on time that stresses me out a little. But so far, I have our Christmas illustration made for our cards, our "we've moved" fixed postcards on their way so I can send them out the first week of Nov, all the fixings to make the stuffing for the turkey for Thanksgiving, and ideas of what I want to get everyone for Christmas.

That's right this year will be a first for this Arena home . . . Thanksgiving! Unfortunately, there's not enough seating to have everyone here, but that is not stopping us from cooking our own Thanksgiving dinner here this year. We'll hopefully have Brian's mom and dad over too. I am nervous, but so excited about taking on this meal challenge and with the experience I finally have in the kitchen I feel somewhat capable. I roasted a chicken back in September as kind of a test run. I just wanted to see if I could roast a bird without it tasting terrible. It was awesome! I can roast a small bird, so hopefully this means the small turkey I get won't give me too much trouble. I am even tackling the focaccia bread stuffing from William Sonoma . . . so good . . . this year. Brian has volunteered as my sous chef, so wish us luck this year!

As for Christmas, I've figured out what to get everyone, but am so excited for my parents gift. I've decided to convert our family videos from tape and make a dvd of the collection for them. I just hope it works. I am borrowing a VHS player from a friend and they sell a conversion set at Best Buy that hooks from the player to the computer to transfer the film. Here's hoping it works out . . . I don't know what to get them otherwise.

Anyway, I hope you are all looking forward to the festive times we're in store for as much as I am. Here;s hoping I don't burn our new home down making Thanksgiving dinner!

No comments: