Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Nursery Ideas

So recently I have been following this one interior design blog, Apartment Therapy, which has all kinds of ideas on it for interiors of every sort. I actually got the idea of doing a frame collage above our couch from it. Similar to what is blow:

It was the perfect answer because I had about as many pictures spread out on the wall and none were at a consistent hight nor was there any rhyme or reason to it. It really started to bother me. So I grouped them together above the coach and it worked perfectly. I instantly got a similar idea for in a nursery too. Right now everything thing I have looked at I don't like. I am way too picky I guess, but for me if I am going to spend a lot of time in this room then I want it to be something like. I was pretty sure I knew what I wanted to do for a boys room, but I was totally lost for a girls. I thought back to the picture collage and thought it would be nice to do one with pictures I grew up with as a kid and place it over where the crib would be. For instance, I had a small "Thy Lord is My Shepherd" plaque that was white with pink lettering and a little Alice in Wonderland picture along with some other things that I could group together. I like that it would be a little bit nostalgic and sorta vintage looking. I could paint the walls a cream or soft tan and have bits of pink accents around the room. I really liked the thought of it, but had a tough time finding potential bedding that would go along with this vintage baby girls room. Mainly because I'm not crazy about pink, bows, lace, or hearts. I tried to go the neutral rout and it turns out I'm not a big fan of what's out there for that either. Then my mom had me look at Restoration Hardware for babies and tah dah! Love at first site. Um, I have time to save for this stuff right, lol. Luckily, I don't want it all, but it went perfectly with the idea I came up with. This is what I found:

I love the bedding stuff and even the carpet. It's soft and warm and it looks like a place I could chill for a while. They also had these nursery rhymes framed on the site (below). It was funny to see them because I definitely had the book that they are pulling the prints from growing up. But it gave me the idea of possibly illustrating some of my own and also having them in the room.


Now as for as for a boys room, I would love to do something very graphic design inspired like the room below:

I love the framed word art and I could definitely make and frame something like that as well. I even like the color, although I would go with a lighter gray definitely. The mobile is pretty cool too. Now I think this was for a girl's room hence the emphasis on pink accents so I would just swap that out for more blues/greens. I would also really like to do this idea below, of chalkboard paint on the wall:

I think that's great. I could even do it in the little girl's room. Now all we have to do is find a home . . . oh and have a baby, lol.

No comments: