Tuesday, June 9, 2009

So Incredibly Thankful

Ok, I know I haven't blogged in forever and a year. I actually have one standing by too, which I have slowly been working on about a trip to the Bahamas I took with Brian back in March. I know, March, seems like forever ago. But really it's just three months ago, so it's not that late to post it, right? That is, whenever I do get around to posting it. But the reason for this blog is simple really. I just want to publicly give thanks to having the most amazing man in my life!

This past weekend started off wonderfully. Brian and I got all dressed up for a formal dinner event being held at the French Embassy. When Brian picked me up not only did he look great, but he also had the most pretty pink and white daisy flowers for me. I know makes you gag a little, but there's more to come, so sit tight. Dinner couldn't have been better. The food was great and the company awesome. We left at about 11:30, which to us old farts felt like 1:30 in the morning, haha. Whatever happened to being able to stay up till 2:00 in the morning and getting up for class at 7:00 wasn't really a big problem? Anyway, I was looking forward to what the next couple days had in store. Brian was getting up early to do the Race for the Cure in DC, after dropping me back off at my place, where I would get a couple more hours of shut eye. Then I was off to the store with Jessi and Darren (one of my best friends and her boyfriend, both are my current roommates, for those who don't know) to get supplies for that evening's BBQ/Farewell party. On Sunday I had plans with Brian to meet up with my sister. We hadn't decided on whether we would explore the zoo or the Wax museum in DC, but both sounded fun.

However, someone upstairs had different plans for me and come Saturday morning I was in for a very rude awakening. I remember the back up alarm Brian set blaring and waking up. Thinking, wow it's early. I said good morning to Brian and began to sit up when I froze in pain and gave out a cry. I fell back and tried to sit up again, but my neck and shoulder seized up with another sharp pain. I couldn't move. Have you ever had those situations where it's bad, but you just start laughing because it's also kinda funny? That was me in that moment. I was in so much pain, but the fact that it was a mere neck pull that had paralyzed me made me laugh at the situation. Brian immediately came to my aid and, with his help, I was eventually able to sit up. Brian just sat there and helped in anyway he could while I tried to regain some sort of movement.

After a while, I was able to move a little, but by this point it was getting late and Brian had already missed meeting up with his friends for the race. I felt so bad. I thought if I could just get dressed, he could drop me off at my place on his way to the race and I could just lay in bed and wait it out. But he insisted on staying with me instead. We eventually made it over to my place where we proceeded to try applying heat. I did my best to put on a happy face and enjoy the BBQ with Brian, but it just didn't get any better. I didn't want to have to go to the doctor's but the thought of sleeping in that much pain finally convinced me to do so.

Brian took me to the hospital without any questions, even though it was nearly 12. He came in with me, held my hand as they gave me a shot of pain medicine and continued to wait with me while that and the muscle relaxers took effect. By the time we checked out it was 3:00 in the morning and we were both exhausted. But luckily, they gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds to use until I am recovered.

I wasn't able to see my sister the next day, but we agreed to get together another time. Through all this Brian was like Superman. He did everything imaginable for me and I didn't even ask. He missed his race to hang out with a crying cripple. And did nothing but completely selfless acts of kindness that I will try my best to repay. So I wanted to take this time to thank him. I couldn't have a better person in my life and I truly feel so lucky to be loved so deeply and unconditionally.

Brian, you truly are a great person, I love you, and I am so thankful.

No comments: