Thursday, August 20, 2009

He put a ring on it!



Aw, the engagement. The moment you want to remember in detail and document with multiple pictures of your ring from every angle, and of you and your man together. The moment that he has spent weeks or maybe even months planning. You sit and wonder when it's going to happen after you go and pick out that perfect ring and then stop trying to guess because you don't want to ruin it. But something tells you that you're going to know when he's going to do it. You think someone is going to slip up and spill the beans or he's going to act too suspicious. I thought for sure this was going to be the case for me. I didn't know how wrong I was.

First off, a little back story. In May, Brian and I took a trip to Charlotte, NC to visit his mom. While we were there we looked at rings and found one that was awesome. I tucked the questions of when and how he was going to do it away because I wanted to be surprised even though I was super curious. By the time August had rolled around I was more concerned with packing and unpacking from our move to our new place than with when Brian might propose. I figured it was going to happen later than my birthday because Brian wanted to ask my parents' permission. I thought for sure I would know when he asked them. I figured I would be able to look at my parents' faces and they would do something to give it away.

Meanwhile, during the time I went to FL to visit one of my best friends in July, Brian had made plans to have lunch with my parents. I called a few times that morning hoping to talk to him because I knew that would be the only time I wouldn't be busy. However, I didn't hear back from him until much later. His excuse, he had gone golfing and didn't have his phone with him. I ate it up. My parents immediately shared the news of Brian's plans with the rest of my family. Every thing was set unbeknown to me and everyone knew, but me.

I have to give props to Brian for holding out a hold month before proposing. The ring must have been burning a hole in his pocket, well actuallly, my bag really. You see, Brian had brought a duffel bad of mine to use when he went down to Charlotte and when he came back he unpacked some of it and put it in his closet, which I did think was odd at the time. However, he kept the door to his closet open the whole time and I figured if he had something to hide then he wouldn't leave it open. I was wrong of course. All I had to do was go into the bag, look in the new golf shoes he had bought and I would have found it. But instead the bag sat in the closet untouched for a month.

Until my birthday. I had taken the day off and Brian was coming home that evening from a trip up to New York. When he arrived I gave him a huge hug and followed him upstairs to talk about his trip while he unpacked. While we were upstairs I told him that I wanted to get a glass of coke and ask if he wanted one to. He told me he'd meet me down stairs, but that he didn't want one, so I went down to get it while I waited for him. When he came down he was sporting a Notre Dame sweatshirt, which I thought was cute, since I never see him in it and he looked all comfy. Turns out the reason why he put the sweatshirt on was to hide the box he had put in his back pocket, haha. We sat on the coach and started to talk about how the weekend had gone. That's when Brian went into to how he felt about me. It was all very sweet, but I still didn't have a clue as to what was going because Brian has always been vocal about how he feels about me and I have been the same with him.

So really it seemed like any other conversation until he got up from the coach and then I was confused. He wasn't getting up to leave, but to face me and he was reaching in his pocket. It wasn't until then when I started to put things together. I thought to myself, "Is this really happening? Is he proposing?" I wanted it to be so, but I was nervous, I still couldn't believe what was happening. But he said some amazing things and then went down on one knee and before he could even get anything else out, I yelled "yes!" Haha, and then he told me he wasn't done yet, and continued until he asked the question you wait your whole life to hear. Course all the while I was asking, "seriously, seriously?" and then finally said yes. It couldn't have happened more perfectly. I wouldn't have changed anything about it and I am so thrilled about what the future will hold for us.

2 comments:

Sweet Shibui Photography said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you!!!!

Gosh, it's been forever and a day since I've seen you--looking good and VERY happy, I might add!

Kirimi said...

I have been meaning to leave a comment here for quite some time...I know I've said it before but I am SO happy for you! Have you set a date? Looks like you've picked a beautiful location!

Congrats again and enjoy these next few months, I'm sure it will fly by!