Thursday, May 31, 2012

You know what they say about the best laid plans . . .

Well, they don't always work out do they? I knew I should have never written that blog about putting a big check mark next to my life, although at the time I felt pretty much on top of everything. Until the first day of May. In the early morning my water broke. I mean, I wasn't 100% sure that's what it was, but that's what my gut was telling me. Luckily, Brian was home and we immediately called my doctor to figure out what to do next. I kept thinking, "I'm only 29 weeks, this can't be happening." My doctor was calm and and asked if I was in any pain, which surprisingly I wasn't and the told me she'd see me at 9:00 a.m., it was only 6:45 a.m. So I took my time and got ready, which later I was glad I had done.

When we got to the doctor's office I explained what happened and he immediately did an ultrasound and left to run a few tests. When he came back I was hoping that he would say I peed myself, embarrassing, but I was willing to accept that. However, he was very serious and told me that my water did break. Brian told me I asked him "what" three times before it sunk in. Then he gave me strict instructions to go directly to the hospital where they'd check me in. He said I had to wrap my head around the fact that I may have the baby within 24 hours or I may be at the hospital for a very long time on bed rest.

After he left room Brian and I just looked at each other in disbelief. This certainly wasn't the way I saw this all happening. Brian was amazing, so calm and collected. It made me feel more at ease with everything. After I was checked in I was given a steroid shot that helps the baby's development of their lungs. He would need two, but they couldn't give them back to back. So we just had to hope that he would stay in one more day so he could get the other one. The lungs are the last thing to fully develop at that stage and these shots would give him better chances once delivered. Meanwhile, I was put on a monitor to listen to the baby and see if I was contracting, which I was, although I didn't feel them. Therefore, to help them stop they hooked me up to an IV of fluid and had me drink plenty of water. Water is amazing, within a matter of minutes they had stopped.

The next few days passed without a hitch and we had made it past that crucial 48 hours without having to deliver. This was great news, but it also meant I could be in the hospital for a while. Fast forward to 33 weeks and I am still here, in a private room at least, with the hope of delivering at 36 weeks. That means if this little nugget doesn't come on his own before, I will be induced anywhere between 17 June and 23 June. The great news about that is hopefully he won't have to stay in the NICU for very long. I just have to stay sane for three more weeks. I have nothing but nice things to say about my hospital staff and doctors though. Everyone have been so helpful. I am so looking forward to this end date though, meeting this little guy and finally going home. That is going to be the best day. Wish us luck!

No comments: