Sunday, December 18, 2011

Coming to a close

Well, the year is coming to a close and it's time to do a little reminiscing. This past year has been amazing, but by far the best part was buying our new home in Alexandria. Deep down neither of us really wanted to leave the area we called home for the past three years. However, with prices being what they are here and what you can get for it, there was a time when we thought we would have to look out further for our first home. As luck would have it, just when we had just about given up hope, we were able to close on a place right up the street from where we were in the same development. And honestly, I couldn't be more happy here. So far everything has really come together. We finally have a dinning table and an almost complete grown up living room (no futon to be seen). Now all that's left is a couple more pieces (bookcases, area rug, & coffee table) and we'll have successfully finished the downstairs at the same time clearing most of the stuff out of the spare bedroom.

The biggest trip this year was to Chicago, which also marked a mile stone for Brian when he finished his first marathon! I was so proud of him. We had a great time in the windy city before, during the race (well, up until mile 22 or so for Brian), and after. We were even able to meet up with an old friend of Brian's, Jay, for dinner our last night there. In all a trip that made a dream into a reality and lit a fire to find the next marathon to conquer . . . Brian has the Marine Corps marathon in his sights for next year.

I was only bummed that we couldn't make it out to Washington before the year was over. However, with everything else going on, we just could afford that too. Next year I want to make it out there in March. Here's hoping everything goes to plan. I have one other trip before then planned with my girlfriends from college. The first week of the new year three of us, one from FL, and the other in Baltimore, plan to head north to see our two other friends in New Hampshire and Mass. I'm looking forward to the girl time and praying it doesn't snow.

I am also finally planning to hold a house warming Mad Men party at our place in late January, or early February. SO excited to flex my cooking muscles when it comes to making fun orderves and serving fancy drinks. As well as, finally having friends over to show off our new space.

Even though I have these things and more to look forward to in 2012, it's hard for me to focus on that when I have a tree full of presents in my house and some at my parents as well for Christmas. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. Even though I keep trying to convince Brian to open one early, he's been good, and he'll most likely make me wait. Here's hoping the week goes fast and that you all have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


No comments: