Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Charlottesville, VA

The same weekend we went to Luray Caverns we also took a trip to Charlottesville, VA which is where the University of VA is and where Jefferson's Monticello is. The drive over was fun and we managed to stop by a unique gas station, which provided not only gasoline, but also had a deli, hardware, and if we were in the mood apparently we could also buy shrimp. I've got to say it's places like this that make roadtrips really worth while.

We also passed by a few good looking shacks worthy of being Brian's new place of residency before we came to some very fine houses with white fenced in land for their thoroughbred horses no doubt.


After we arrived we checked into the cute little bed and breakfast we booked and then headed out to explore the small downtown and UV campus. The university was actually established by Thomas Jefferson and he helped with it's architecture. His most famous buildings, the Rotunda is a beautiful building which use to hold the school's main library. Brian and I had fun looking studious as we toured the Rotunda and the rest of the grounds. However, we were hard pressed to find very many students with smiling dispositions. We were beginning to wonder if anyone really like going to the university. But then figured that it was probably upcoming finals and the first cold weather days to hit the school that made the students bitter.
We found what looked to be a yellow leaf path on campus. I called it the yellowleaf road, haha.

I had been to Monticello once before when my family first moved here. But it was nice to go there with so few people. The last time I went it was during the summer months and we had to wait in line to see the house in the humidity of the east coast. This time there were no lines, but it was extremely cold. While we were inside the house on our tour it lightly snowed. Needless to say I am glad that they have updated the mansion to have central heating. You are able to roam freely about the grounds after taking the tour and we took advantage of so few people to get some shots of the place. Before finally taking the bus back down to the visitor center where we could defrost.
The grounds of Monticello:

Brian throwing up a TJ in front of Monticello:
The view from the house:

I don't look too happy here because it was really cold, haha.

No comments: