Monday, June 24, 2013

Well Hello There

I know it's been forever and a year since I last wrote something here. But as you can imagine life with a now 1-year-old is a little hectic. However, I have to say being a mommy is the best thing ever! I love that little boy more than words can say and it's so much fun watching him grow and learn every day. I would love to get back to blogging more though. It's fun to look back on older posts.

Here's my goal with this little blog world: blog at least once a month, which does sound fairly reasonable. Secretly, or well, not so secret now that I am putting it out there, I would like to try for once a week, but baby steps, people, baby steps. There is lots to catch you up on and it may be hard to go over it all in just one blog, so I will try to hit the high notes in several, along with hopefully adding in some new stuff that's been going on.

First thing I would like to share with you is a little experiment I am trying, called going without sugar and coffee for a month. What a crazy idea right and how on earth did I ever end up deciding to do it? Well, Brian and I started training for a half marathon this month and on one of the runs I got to thinking about how much sugar I eat in a day. It was one of those days where I think I had a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast, lunch, and then an oreo cheesecake cupcake mid-day, followed by a pack of M&Ms, that I didn't need, a little later. This all before I left work for the day. Can you tell I have a sweet tooth? As I was running I was thinking of how ridiculous that was and I thought, "wow, that's in addition to the sugar that I already add to everything," such as, coffee. I probably add a little less than half, if not half, a spoon full of sugar to my coffee which I have every morning. I thought, well, that's in the cup I sometimes get in the morning before going to work and then in the cup I actually have at work. Add all that up for a week and you probably get about 1/4 cup for a week, 4 weeks to a month, that's about 1 cup of sugar per month! And that's just in my coffee! I also regularly had sweets throughout the week as well.

I think my pace may have increased when I envisioned all that sugar piled up in bags on my island. I needed to make a change. I certainly don't need to be eating that much sugar. So I told Brian that was it, I was cutting it out. Well, sorta . . . more like I was cutting out eating things that were more considered desserts and candy, or adding sugar to anything. But I told him that he needed to be my rock in this because it would be easy for me to slip. He agreed, but also threw in the idea of giving up coffee too (he drinks way more if it than I do and thought he should probably cut back a little too). We made the commitment to try to do it for the next couple of weeks and then slowly add it back in.

It's been a week. It's been no cake walk (no pun intended), but I've managed to go an entire week without. Well, sorta. Brian, didn't last at all with the coffee. He just couldn't do it with the massive headache he got, so he broke down on day one and had a cup. However, he has stuck to only one cup during the day, much better than his 3 he use to have. Me, well, the coffee part was easy, although Tues and over the weekend Brian made some and I did have a cup. However, I never added sugar once. Doesn't even taste that bad without it. I've also gotten decaf here and there, but still no sugar.

As for sweets, I did great during the work week, but I did get together with a friend on the weekend and ordered a small dessert after our dinner. I also had my parents over yesterday and we did fresh fruit, ice cream, and angel-food cake for dessert (it was awesome). Again, way better than I have been in the past. Baby steps, like I said. But overall, it's been getting easier. I'm hoping that this will eventually make sugar something that is truly a treat and not just an everyday experience.

Wish me luck!

No comments: